Wednesday, October 29, 2014

"I never drink......wine."


    Halloween is still two days away. But
today, October 29th, is "National Dracula
Bites Day!"
     I never heard of it before. But gone-ta-
pott.com claims it's celebrated every year
on this date! Possibly since 1931 when the
classic movie Dracula was produced by
Universal Pictures. In fact the "holiday"
may have been created to promote the
feature.
     I saw the movie when it was re-released
sometime in the 1940's.
     Sometime after that my Dad, who was
a movie projectionist, brought the star,
Bela Lugosi, to our house. He was making
stage appearances around the country and
came to Hazleton for one of them.
      I have no idea if it was October 29th.
I never saw the guy! I was hiding in my
room. I was probably searching for two
sticks I could hold together in the form of
a cross. As far as I was concerned Dad had
brought Dracula to our home!
       Though it is described as a "National
holiday" there is no record of the
bloodsuckers......I mean.....politicians....
actually creating legislation for this day.
    According to the website the day is an
opportunity to learn all about the history
of Dracula and to have fun with the
spooky character.
    If we're talking about the movie
character that history only covers 83 years.
    If we're talking about the Romanian
Prince, "Vlad the Impaler," we've got to study
back to the 15th century!  I just can't sink
my teeth into that!
     You'll just have to "reflect" on that one!
     Hope you've had your Garlic, and that
all your NEWS is good.

    


No comments:

Post a Comment