Thursday, October 9, 2014

Never Talk With........


  OK. Finish the sentence.
  Traditionally we're admonished,
"Never talk with....food in your mouth."
   It's wise advice.
   But, may I suggest, an equally
important bit of advice should be
"Never talk with dental equipment
in your mouth! And somebody should
tell that to the dentist!
    I had one of those regularly
scheduled visits to the dentist this
week. You know, one of those
appointments where a assistant does
a car wash job on the inside of your
mouth.
    First, of course, they poke around
in there with a small, but sharp, metal
spike.
    I had no pain when I went in. But
the assistant and I both found some
sensitive spots after that probe made
the rounds! I found them first!
    I think everyone is a little ill at
ease when having a dental examination.
And that may be the reason dentists and
their assistants try to engage the patient
in conversation. Trying to make them
feel comfortable while the scraping and
high pressure water rinse goes on.
     I have no particular problem with
that.
     Unfortunately, more often than not,
I find myself trying to respond to comments
or answering questions when that metal
spike is scrapping away tarter and a plastic
suction device is clearing massive waves
of water from inside my mouth.
     If wouldn't be so bad if the questions
could be answered with "Yes" or "No."
That way I could, at least, nod my head in
reply even though doing so might direct
that spike or the water somewhere it
shouldn't be.
      I'm thinking dentists should simply
install TV sets on their ceilings with the
screens facing down at their patients. Throw
in a headset and the patient could just enjoy
some soap opera or the news until the
"bridge work" is done!
        Hope you're not down in the mouth
and that all your NEWS s good!

No comments:

Post a Comment