Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Walkers!

 
   Boy! Was I ahead in my time! That's
a statement, not a question!
    Today is International "Walk to
School Day."
     It was organized by the Partnership
for a Walkable America back in 1997
and went International in 2000 when
Canada and the United Kingdom
joined in the promotion.
    The idea is to get students to walk
or ride their bikes to school.
     I walked to my Elementary school.
     I walked to my Junior High school.
     And I walked, most of the time to my
High school which was over a mile away.
     By the way none of these walks involved
going uphill both ways in snow well over
my head.
     The only time I didn't walk was on
those occasional days when, as a Senior,
I got access to my Dad's car.
     I never road a School bus until well
into my TV reporting career when I did
a story about a State Trooper boarding
one to watch for drivers who ignored the
flashing lights on the bus!
     Somebody, I think they were in
Harrisburg, came up with the bright idea
of consolidating School Districts.
      I seem to remember supporters
claiming the move would save a lot of
money. I know I remember seeing the
old neighborhood schools closing one
by one.
     And as the new consolidated schools
sprung up, kids stopped walking and
started taking the bus.
      I'm not sure how practical this
International Walk To School Day
is except, perhaps, in the case of my
grandson whose back yard adjoins his
school playground.
      They'd probably be extremely
successful and maybe pretty popular
if they reopened neighborhood schools
to which the kids could walk!
       Hope you're there in time for
Homeroom and that all your NEWS is
good!



No comments:

Post a Comment