Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Free Parking!


   I'm usually happy to find a good
parking spot. Especially when it's
free.
   That was not the case yesterday
though as my wife and I found
ourselves parked.....on Interstate
81! It had turned into the biggest
parking lot we had seen in a long
time! No charge of course.
    We were headed to the movies
and had allowed what we thought
was plenty of extra time to get
there. Nope!
    One of those flashing signs along
the berm caught my attention. I saw
the part that read "Right Lane Closed"
but wasn't able to see the mile marker
noted. No problem. I immediately
switched to the left lane.
     Just about a half mile ahead I
spotted one of those State Police
cruisers parked on the side of the road
with its lights flashing. That sight has
come to be feared by motorists more
than the vision of those same lights
flashing behind you! At least in the
latter case somebody would actually
be moving!
    As usual we watched as a constant
parade of cars passed us on the right
even though the drivers knew their lane
would be closed somewhere up ahead.
   Of course the more that flew by, the
longer the wait as they attempted to
force their way over to the left lane
when they ran out of road!
    It was, of course, construction that
lead to the lane closure.
    But the real problem, as I've pointed
out before, is the total lack of traffic
control!
     Signs ordering drivers to "Merge
Left NOW" one or two miles before
the traffic jam would go a long way
towards eliminating the problem.
     And how about an actual Traffic
Control Officer stationed at a critical
spot who would actually wave one
lane on, then the next, so the flow,
perhaps slower, would at least continue
to move!
     We saw a Control Officer keep things
moving around an accident site on the
Interstate in New York State about a year
ago.
     By the way, my wife and I made the
movie.......BUT.....it was the second
showing. The one we were headed to was
about mid way through by the time we got
there.
      We're just happy we weren't headed to
a job interview or doctor's appointment!
       You'll want to know that my son-in-
law called this morning to let me know that
PennDot's Free Parking offer on I81 has been
extended through today!
       Hope you're parked where you want
to be and that all your NEWS is good!



  

No comments:

Post a Comment