Tuesday, February 23, 2016

I SAW THE LIGHT!

WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 24TH.
            I SAW THE LIGHT!

    My job as a news reporter took me to
some unusual places over the years.
Thirteen years ago this week, for instance,
I found myself eight stories above the
streets of Scranton, climbing on a ladder
and over steel work still higher to get a
close up look at a once illuminated sign
proclaiming the community as "The
Electric City."
     The sign was erected in the early
1920's. But its 1300 bulbs had been
dark for many years! I suspected some
of the old wiring I saw up there might
have been the cause.
      The occasion of our climb was an
announcement the sign was to be
refurbished! For just a moment I
feared the first move might have been
to ask us to change the bulbs!
        But, totally without our help,
within a year or so the sign was
glowing again. Unfortunately it
didn't last. By 2013 40% of those
light bulbs had burned out so the
entire sign was turned off.
        I didn't have to climb up the next
time the sign was restored. In 2014
the folks who run Scranton's popular
Italian Festival donated $10,000 to
relight and improve the landmark with
modern, colored LED bulbs.
        It's become a symbol of the city
and the logo for both the Italian
Festival and for Electric City TV
where I volunteer as a host and
producer for several television shows.
Lots of work. But no climbing
involved!
        Hope they keep it glowing and
that all your NEWS is good!




       

    

No comments:

Post a Comment