Friday, June 15, 2018

AND THEN I NOTICED....


  SATURDAY, JUNE 16TH., 2018
    AND THEN I NOTICED.....

     I've got to stop seeing so many
movies. Or, at the least, I've got to
forget what I've seen once I've seen
it.
     This became very clear to me as
we boarded the Norwegian Gem for
our Travelworld cruise to Canada.
      One of the first orders of business
on a cruise ship is, ironically, making
plans for how to get off during an
emergency. They call them "Life Boat
Drills." You don't actually get into a
life boat. Instead you gather at a Muster
Station from which you'd enter a life
boat during an actual emergency.
       Of course life boats these days
look a lot different than they used to.
They're actually small cruisers which
I immediately recognized as being like
the boat in which Navy Seals took out
three hijackers in the movie Captain
Phillips. Guess I'd take a seat away
from a window!
         There are murals painted in
the stairways throughout the ship. The
one leading downstairs nearest our
compartment was one that looked
strikingly like the Titanic! Perhaps it
was another vessel that just reminded
me of the one pictured in the movie.
         Interesting choice for a cruise
ship heading out to sea!
         Then there was the series of
 paintings along the wall right outside
the ship's library. I was admiring the
art work until I noticed it was a
portrait of the Andrea Doria! She
sank after a collision with the Stockholm
in 1956.
          Fortunately our voyage was smooth
sailing all the way and I never even took
my life jacket down from the top shelf
of the closet (though I did check to make
sure there was one there!).
           I also assured my wife there was
no need to worry. In the event of an
emergency at sea I was prepared to board
a lifeboat and go for help. I'm not sure
she fully appreciated my offer!
           Hope you'll sail with us someday
and that all your NEWS is good!






No comments:

Post a Comment