Thursday, June 14, 2018

THE END OF THE RAINBOW.


      FRIDAY, JUNE 15TH., 2018
    THE END OF THE RAINBOW.

       I usually devote my daily blog to
things that strike me funny in everyday
life, unusual holidays, or poking fun at
myself.
       Every so often, however, I feel the
need to be serious about a subject. This
is one of those times.
       I call it "The End Of The Rainbow."
       Years ago my wife and I found
ourselves driving in the area of Watkins
Glen, New York. In the distance we could see
the beautiful water of Lake Seneca.
         We wondered if there was a road that
actually went along the shore of the lake
so we took the first turn that we thought
might lead to such a drive.
           What we found, instead, was a
quaint motel/restaurant called Rainbow
Cove.
            For the next few years we, and
some very close friends, enjoyed an
annual stay at the small resort.  Breakfast,
lunch and dinner were usually spent in
the restaurant. In between meals we
visited local wineries, relaxed along the
dock or the swimming pool, and sat
round the fire Rainbow's owners made
up every evening.
             Over the last couple years only
my best friend and his wife have been
able to get back annually although we
were able to visit with them on a drive up,
drive back, last year.
              This year we made a reservation
for one night so we could spend one full
day with our friends at the place to
enjoy each other's company and talk
over old times.
               We were surprised, however, to
learn that the resort has  been sold!
                While promising to try to
maintain some of its "old charm" the
new owners have limited dining to
breakfast, added a bar. and upped
the rates! They're modernizing the rooms
which has its pros and cons. Sometimes
people appreciate things they way they're
used to them. As for the bar, this is "wine
country" and most folks bring their own
bottles back to their rooms.
                  They are also planning to
change the name of the place, a move
which left us and some other "regulars"
a bit disheartened.
                    Adding to our dismay is
the realization that my friend's wife of
50 years will soon be going away to
get some much needed specialized
care. It's very possible we will not
have the opportunity to see her again.
                     We've all heard the stories
of gold at the end of the rainbow. I
suspect that "gold" may actually be
memories!
                       There are many places,
now long gone, that still come to my
mind and bring a smile of nostalgia to
my face. I suspect you have some too.
                         Hope they're gold at
the end of your rainbow and that all
your NEWS is good!











No comments:

Post a Comment