Friday, June 29, 2018

STEADY AS SHE GOES!


    SATURDAY, JUNE 30TH., 2018
         STEADY AS SHE GOES!

  I got some interesting reaction to a
Facebook post I offered yesterday and
I think it's worth some thought here.
   The question I posed was "Does
anyone "Go Steady" anymore?"
    I brought the subject up because
June 29th marked the 50th anniversary
of the day I gave the girl who would
eventually become my wife my class
ring to indicate we were "going steady."
     I gave it to her while we were seated
on a bench on the once world famous
Steel Pier in Atlantic City.
      Back then "going steady" meant
a guy and a girl had pledged themselves
to restrict their dating to each other.
      A High School ring or a College
Fraternity pin was usually the symbol
of that pledge.
       When I mentioned the occasion
to a few family members the other
day we got a "double take" indicating
the term "going steady" had pretty
much gone over their heads.
        Most of the replies to my Facebook
post were from people around my age
who clearly remembered the term or a
similar one, "getting pinned."
         I guess these and some other old
"romantic gestures" have pretty much
disappeared in an era where people
making commitments don't seem to be
as committed as people used to be!
          In our case it worked out pretty
well. We've even outlasted the Steel
Pier! Hope it's steady as she goes for
many more years and that all your
NEWS is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment