Wednesday, June 20, 2018

NOT YET!


    THURSDAY, JUNE 21ST., 2018
                NOT YET!  

      For those who may not know I
do some writing for the NEPA Family
Times.  I write a Grandparents column.
       On this first day of summer I'd
like to share my latest essay which
was inspired by my weekly outings
with my 2 and a half year old grandson.
        Hope you enjoy it.

 AN OLD GRANDPA'S NEW MATH!
    Math has never been my specialty but
lately I find myself using some new math
when it comes to dealing with my two and
a half year old grandson.
     Before I attempt to explain I must
caution parents and other grandparents.
Don't use this math if you're attempting
to raise a child with strict disciplinary
standards.
      It started out well. We were at a local
playground. My grandson was on the
swing and I was pushing it. As my back
grew weary I suggested it might be time
to stop. "Not yet" he answered.
     Since I hadn't given much warning
I responded with the phrase "OK. One
more time."
      That sentence can be added to the
list of famous last words.
       One more time turned into two, and
then three, and another two or so.
       And that was just the swing! My
suggestion it might be time to go was
also greeted with a "Not yet."
        Soon "One more time" was
replaced by "One last time." But, of
course, the actual "last time" came a
little later.
        Yep. Grandpa kept giving in.
Probably a bad habit.
         I wondered about that but
suddenly realized I wasn't on any
time table when I took the little
guy out. It was sore muscles rather
that a busy calendar that had me
thinking about putting my feet up
somewhere.
         And then another thought
came into my mind. It was based on
a saying I heard one time. "Let me
love him a little bit more before he's
not little anymore."
           All too soon I may be
watching him leave to go home and
I'll be the one saying "Not yet" or
asking him to play a game with me
"one more time."
            Maybe, if I'm lucky, my
grandson will remember the few
extra rides on the swing or time
spent in the playground and stick
around "one last time."
             Hope all your NEWS is
good!

No comments:

Post a Comment