Wednesday, April 17, 2013

"42" It's a Winner!


     You didn't need a scorecard to tell the
players as the Yankees took on the Arizona
Diamond Backs. In fact a scorecard would
not have helped!
     That's because every player, on both
teams, wore the same number on their
uniform. In fact yesterday every player in
Major League Baseball wore that same
number.
     It was the number 42 and it was being
worn to honor the memory of Jackie
Robinson, the great Brooklyn Dodger
player who broke the color barrier by
becoming the first black player in the
Major Leagues.
     My wife and I went to see the movie
"42" yesterday. We agreed it was an
excellent film that offers some lessons
in life as well as great entertainment!
    I like baseball movies! I guess that's
because I love baseball.
    We used to have a Wiffle Ball "League"
in my back yard when I was a kid.
     There were challenges back then guys
like Jackie Robinson never had to deal
with. The biggest was the neighbor lady
who would yell at us if the ball went into
her yard. She'd keep it if she got to it before
we could jump the fence to grab it!
      We didn't wear numbers on our uniforms
back then. Of course, we didn't have uniforms!
Probably just T shirts, jeans, and a pair of
Keds!
       I might have had a number in Teener
League. But I never made the team.
       The coach wanted me to throw a ball
from Center Field to the catcher on one hop.
I couldn't make the infield without a bounce
or two!
       I finally got some numbers when I
started pitching for the old WDAU Softball
team. I never had "42" but I think I got close
with a "44" one year. Of course by that time
it might have been my age! I'd need a "70"
now!
        There's a WBRE game next week and
I've been invited. Maybe it's just to throw out
the first pitch. If my schedule, back, and legs
allow, I may just give it a try.
        If I do watch for the results. They'll either
be on the Sports Page or in the Obituaries!
        Hope you're still safe at home and that all
your NEWS is good!


























That's me 4th from left standing

1 comment:

  1. Lots of Good information in your post,
    I favorited your blog post
    so I can visit again in the future, Thanks.


    dovo straight razor



    ReplyDelete