Saturday, April 13, 2013

Back To School!


  I went back to school yesterday!
  Before teachers everywhere rush for the
shelters....I was just visiting!
  Now that I think of it word of my role as
a student probably hasn't reached any of
today's educators anyway. And most of
those who somehow lived through my
days in the classroom while they were
teachers are dead now anyway.
   Actually my return came at the
invitation of my daughter who teaches at
Wilkes-Barre Academy. She asked me if
I would come to read to her class of First
Grade students.
    I like First Graders. I think, in many ways,
we think alike!
    In an attempt to escape from some of
the "hard news" stories I had to deal with
most everyday as a reporter I enjoyed
making up humorous tales for my
grand kids.
    One of them featured a character I
identified as "Prince Claude", a not too
bright, spoiled monarch, whose attempts
to show his superiority always end in
embarrassment. I suspect we all have
come across, worked for, or at least
know one "Prince Claude" in our lives!
    The only problem with telling one
of my stories was the fact I would often
forget the specifics. In asking for a retelling
my grand kids would often have to fill in
a few details themselves.
    I finally got up the nerve to actually
commit a few of my Prince Claude stories
to paper. That way I can remember the
whole story!
    I shared several with the First Graders
yesterday and they proved to be a very
receptive audience! Their laughter was a
nice reward for my "literary efforts!"
    Maybe I still have a future...as a writer!?
    Hope I get an "A" and that all your
NEWS is good!                                                                                 
   









No comments:

Post a Comment