Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The Silver Screen!


    April 23rd marks another one of those unusual
"holidays" few people know about and it may
be my favorite!
    It's Movie Theater Day!
    I love to go to the movies!
    I know you can watch many of the latest hits
from the comfort of your own home these days.
But, to me, nothing beats the experience of
watching these attractions on a big screen with
theater surround sound and a box of fresh hot
popcorn on your lap! And, by the way, popcorn
taste better in a movie theater too!
    I, of course, am bias on this issue!
    I practically grew up in a movie theater....well
a couple of them....as my Dad was a projectionist.
    My main hang out was the Capitol Theater in
Hazleton. I used to sit with Dad in the projection
booth or in the balcony (these days they call
that Stadium seating) right outside the booth.
    If you ever tried sneaking in through the
Fire Exits upstairs there in the late 50's I may
have been the guy who kept you out!
    Double features were common back then.
    Between the Capitol and one of our local
Drive Ins there were times when I saw four
movies in one day (and night).
     My record was "Where The Boys Are" which
I saw, in a theater, 11 times as I recall.
     I think I was in love with the female lead,
Dolores Hart. Wouldn't you know it...she became
a Nun! I suppose she realized she would never
actually meet me.
      That movie came out in 1960, just about the
time the old single screen movie palaces were
beginning to disappear. The Capitol closed in
1963.
      I miss it and the other Classic theaters I
used to frequent. But I'm happy the Multiplex
Theaters are around to keep the tradition alive
and the pop corn popping.
     Of course I also miss getting in for free now
that Dad and the Capitol are gone.
     Maybe I'll have to start checking those Fire
Exits myself!
     Hope you've turned off your cellphone ,
remembered to ask for extra butter, and that
all your NEWS is good!





























































No comments:

Post a Comment