Thursday, April 11, 2013

Sub Day.....But..."marine or sandwich?"


   OK folks. We've got a dilemma on our hands! This
is April 11th. It is one of those unusual "holidays"
I love to find, write about and, when possible,
celebrate!
    But here's the thing. This is "Submarine Day!"
    Problem is, although it's been acknowledged
on several calender sites, we don't know what
kind of submarine we're suppose to be celebrating!
     Is it a boat that goes under water or a big
"Hero" sandwich? There's a big difference!
     I know a little bit about both.
     I've certainly had plenty of "submarine"
sandwiches over the years. Probably more than
a few too many!
     They come in  many varieties with a whole lot
of different names. "Subs, Heros, Hoagies, Grinders,
torpedoes, or baguettes" to name a few.
      The name usually varies depending on the part
of the country you're in. Use the wrong one and
you'll likely get either a strange or, at least, a
blank stare!
      The other "submarine", the boat, usually has
torpedoes on board. But you can't eat them!
       I've been on two submarines. Not as a
sailor. Just a visitor. I know the Navy will be
extremely happy with that disclaimer.
       I got to check out the Nautilus at the Sub
Museum in Groton, Connecticut. I looked all
over for Captain Nemo but he must have been
on shore leave that day.
       Then, a couple of years ago, we had our
choice of visiting either the Rock & Roll
Hall of Fame in Cleveland, Ohio or the U.S.S.
Cod moored nearby. Since the Hall doesn't allow
pictures I yelled "Clear the bridge" and
dove into the Cod for a really neat tour!
       Since the U.S. Submarine Service was
established in April of 1900, and this is April,
that's probably the Submarine we're suppose to
be celebrating. Dah!
       I'm not sure how you would "celebrate."
       It's still a bit too cool for an underwater
swim. Maybe you could rent a couplee of those
old movies about subs. I'd recommend Operation
Petticoat from 1959.
      And, while you're watching, call up the
nearest Subway Shop and order a Torpedo,or
a Hero, Hoagie, Grinder, or a Baguette...just
to see how they react.
      As for me, if we're celebrating the "Silent
Service". I'll say no more!
      Hope you're not "taking a dive" and that
all your NEWS is good!






































    

No comments:

Post a Comment