Monday, April 15, 2013

Oh Say Is That Star Spangled Banner Still.....Playing?


   I like our National Anthem!
   I remember telling the story about Francis
Scott Key who wrote the poem that became
The Star Spangled Banner to my kids when
the were little. It always inspired me.
   But now I'm starting to wonder why this
tune, which is suppose to be so difficult to
sing, is being sung by so many performers
who seem determined to add as many notes
and variations of tone as they possibly can?
    I took my grandson to a BMX Bicycle
race yesterday.
    A strong cold wind was blowing across
the track as riders and watchers stood for
the National Anthem.
    I won't identify the singer. I can't. I
can only suppose it's one of the newer
"popular artists" who somebody, that
picked up the recording, bought to "add" to
the opening ceremonies.
   It seemed to go on forever!
   Some of the better riders can negotiate
the hills and turns on the track in about 32
seconds.
    At that speed they could have run three
or more races by the time the female
singer concluded her musical question
about the current status of the Star Spangled
Banner?
    I've heard rousing instrumental versions
that can shake your bones, and send patriotic
chills up your spin without trying to hold notes,
in better time than the track's fastest bikers!
    Those standing in that cold wind should
probably just be thankful the "artist" didn't
know, or the operator didn't play, the
full four verses of our Anthem!
     Hope the Flag is still there and that all
your NEWS is good!
































No comments:

Post a Comment