Sunday, April 21, 2013

Hippity Hop To The Barber Shop!


   I usually depend on my wife for my haircuts.
But since she's been a little under the weather
I decided I'd find a Barbershop at the end of my
afternoon walk yesterday and get a trim.
    I used to have a regular appointment every
two weeks with a great hair stylist. I began to
drift a way from that routine when the kids
came along and I used the money for food
instead of a razor cut.
    One of the shops along my walking route
was open when I went by so I decided to give
it a try.
    Things have changed a bit since those
regular visits years ago!
     Back then the Italian Barbers talked
sports with most of the customers while a
radio somewhere in the background provided
a steady flow of easy listening music that
always included a few tunes by Dean Martin,
Al Martino, and Jerry Vale.
    There was always a hot towel and a guy
who offered shoe shines for those who
wanted them.
     I'm not sure if there was any specific
ethnic background shared by the barbers
in the shop I found yesterday.  Other than
to say the owner bragged about leaving New
York behind in his rear view mirror when he
pulled out of Manhattan.
     There was a radio and it was playing
something. I couldn't understand any of the
lyrics but the beat was well above that offered
by an easy listening format.
     It reminded me of another home town shop
I stopped in once a few years back.
    The pace in that one was provided by the
on going argument between the barber and
his wife. They were trading was seemed to be
curses in another language which became
just a little upsetting as the barber shaved my
neck with a straight razor. It was my first and
last visit to that place!
    No one was arguing in the shop I picked
yesterday. But everybody, and there were at
least 4 visitors plus a child besides the barbers,
seemed to be trading barbs throughout my
visit. I could only hope the guy holding the
trimmer was concentrating on me!
     There was another big difference between
this "new" place and my regular shop from
years ago. Back then the trimmed hair on
my protective apron was dark. Somehow
the trimmings looked pretty gray yesterday.
Must be the equipment they're using these
days. Right!?
      Hope you've still got a little on the top
to be trimmed and that all your NEWS is
good!



































    

No comments:

Post a Comment