Saturday, April 20, 2013

The Only Thing We Have To Fear Is...........


      The words of President Franklin D. Roosevelt
echoed through my mind as I face still another
shopping assignment yesterday.
       I was on my own, armed with a short list of
necessities my wife had provided.
       I tried to stick with that list as close as possible.
But even that small chore can present challenges.
      Do you, for instance, stick with the named
brand products. Or do you chance buying the
less expensive store brand that may or may not be
as good or effective.
      I was OK with that. I made a couple of decisions
which I hoped would be approved and just crossed
my fingers.
      Then, of course, there were the "discoveries."
You know, the things you just happen to see which
seem to cry out "Buy me. You need me!" It's funny
hot many of those things fall into the "Dessert"
category!
       I picked up a couple of those too then headed
for the Check Out. And that's when the fear really
kicked in!
       As I started to transfer the items from my
shopping cart to the check out counter I realized
I was in an aisle designated for "20 Items Or Less!"
       I am, by nature, a law abiding, rule following
citizen. Was I about to violate that status!? I had
never actually counted all those individual items
as I took them from the shelves. Was I in for
immanent trouble?
       It could depend, I suspected, on whether those
three boxes of Raisinets would be counted as three
items or a single purchase.
       The tension mounted. But somebody up there
likes me! There were 17 items in all. I had cleared
the limit with room to spare! The friendly clerk
assured me she would have gladly handled by
purchases anyway. She said I was far short of the
44 items some guy pushed through her quick
check out aisle a few days earlier.
        So, in the end, the only thing I really had
to fear was, in fact, fear itself.
        Of course I had forgotten a book of stamps.
I made that purchase separately.
       Hope you've checked off everything on your
list and that all your NEWS is good!






























No comments:

Post a Comment