Thursday, April 18, 2013

The Monster In The Lake


  I suppose he was there all the time. Just
lurking in the depths among the weeds.
  So, yesterday, there I was just minding
my own business as we checked our
camper to see if everything was intact
for the coming season.
   My fishing rods were there too. Still
in the rack, perhaps a bit dusty, and
looking as if I ought to give at least
one of them a workout.
   Now you should probably know I'm
not a very serious fisherman. I'm a lot
like my Dad in that respect.
   I can remember sitting in a boat, or
on a dock, or a pier with him. He'd
put some bait on his hook, let the line
fall to the bottom, then light up his
cigar, sit back, and relax.
   Every so often some fish would
make the mistake of nipping at his
bait.
   I imagine a lot of fishermen would
get very excited at that point. But my
Dad would get annoyed. He'd wind in
the line and, as he carefully removed
the hook, would chastise the fish for
being greedy and disturbing him.
   I haven't reach that extent just yet.
   I like the idea of actually landing a
fish from time to time.
   But I never expect to!
   That's why I was more than just a bit
surprised when, on my third cast, a
hungry Pickerel went after my spinning
lure like a starving man to a pizza.
    I was only trying the rod. I wasn't
expecting the monster of the lake to
accept my challenge.
    But, let's face it. He hooked himself.
He was, as my Dad used to say, greedy.
If he had stayed with his regular diet of
lake bugs and such he would not have
found himself on the end of my line.
    So, what could I do? I had little
choice. I rescued him....sharp teeth and
all.
    I thought of my Dad, scolded the
guy, then threw him back in the lake
to grow into the huge monster he will
undoubtedly become.......IF......he has
learned his lesson!
    Hope you're watching what your
eat and that all your NEWS is good!














No comments:

Post a Comment