Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Titanic...It's Still Sunk!

   It has been 101 years since the RMS Titanic sunk
to the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean. But interest in
that dramatic sea disaster is as intense as ever. And
some of you still believe I covered the sinking! No!
Well, not exactly!
   I "reunited" two Titanic survivors in 1972 and,
since then, have been invited to speak at programs
about the ship every year.
   Yesterday I appeared before an enthusiastic
gathering at the Hoyt Library in Kingston to tell
my story and share some others I've learned about
people bound for northeastern Pennsylvania aboard
the ill fated liner.
    The participants really got into the theme of the
day, many dressed in period garb for the event! Each
received a passport and a Boarding Pass and,before
leaving, each learned whether their "character"
died or survived the actual event.
    Since I had to leave before the gathering
adjourned I'm still on pins and needles waiting to
see if my character was saved or not! I suppose,
with my luck, my character is still on board the
ship after all these years!
     We're still learning about the disaster. I'm
currently trying to find out about a young lady
named Viola Wells who was adopted by a Scranton
man after, according to newspaper accounts, "losing
her parents on the Titanic." But there was no "Viola
Wells" on the Titanic passenger list and the only
Wells family on board survived the sinking. Who
then were her parents? How did she come to be in
an orphanage in New York?
    It's a little hard to find these answers 4 years after
the last Titanic survivor passed away. But I'll keep
trying!
    I was impressed to see young people who still
care about the Titanic story. Three of them offered
a short skit about an area woman who survived with
her infant son but lost her brother-in-law when the
ship went down. It was the woman I reunited with
another....... who saved her baby back...... in 1972!
    There are a thousand stories about the Titanic.
    Of course they all end the same way when it
comes to the ship! It sinks!
    Hope you're still treading water and that all of
your NEWS is good!































                                                                                            


 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment