Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Dead Air!


  A funny thing happened as I braved
yesterday's light, but slick, snowfall
and walked the back road near my
home.  The battery in my portable radio
died!
   Suddenly I was cut off from my
source of vital political information
offered daily by the regular callers to
local "Talk Radio."
    And just as quickly I began to hear,
and enjoy, the "sounds of silence!"
     I could actually hear the sound of
my sneakers crunching the snow
beneath my feet. I could hear the tap
of my walking stick with each step.
     I carry the walking stick to ward
off wild dogs, wolfs, and bears.
Fortunately I didn't see or hear any
of those on my walk.
     It's amazing how quiet it was.
Only one car passed by as I walked.
And I actually heard it approaching!
In fact with birds and squirrels hiding
from the elements the only sounds,
other than my own, came from a
truck passing by on the turnpike about
a mile or so away through the woods.
     I carry a spare battery in my back
pocket and could easily have fired up
the radio again. But, after comparing
the possibilities, I elected to go with
the silence. It seemed like the more
intelligent move!
     Hope you tune out from time to
time and that all your NEWS is good!





    

   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment