Wednesday, January 28, 2015

On Track!


   I've been working on the railroad! Well, I've
started working on the railroad.
   My collection of Lionel Trains and the
Plasticville buildings that go with them have
been stored away in a closet for the past 15
years or so.
    I used to keep them up year round in the
house where I was born. But after my Dad
passed away and we sold the house I lost
the only space I had to display them.
    My daughter recently moved into a new
home and has invited me to invade the
basement there to reestablish my personal
railroad empire. That will make me a
railroad magnate because my Lionels
have "Magnetration!"
    The project began yesterday. First my
wife dug out the boxes. Then we hauled
them to my daughters.
     The first items to be unwrapped were
the sections of track. The rails are a bit
weathered now, just as the real ones would
be after so many years.
      I've set up a few just to get an idea
where the line will run. But there's some
serious cleaning and, perhaps, a bit of
platform expansion needed before my
rolling stock is actually rolling again.
      An advertising tune from the past
is ringing through my head..."That's real
smoke a puffin, that's a whistle you hear.
I'm a Lionel (toot, toot) Engineer!
     In a couple weeks or so we should be
up and running. I suspect my grandson
and grand daughter will be at the controls
after they learn the ropes.
     It's likely I'll be back at the throttle too!
There's still a kid in me longing to ride
the rails.
    Hope I remember where all the wires
go...and that all your NEWS is good!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment