Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Holiday On Ice!


   Yesterday was a holiday. I spent it,
well some of it, on ice!
    I often walk in Pittston and West
Pittston. One of my regular routes
takes me over the Fort Jenkins Bridge.
That's the big stone span linking the
two communities.
    Forecasters were warning drivers
about the danger of "Black Ice." But
PennDot, or whoever cares for the
bridge, must have had the salt trucks
out early because the road surface was
perfectly clear.
    Somebody, however, must have
forgotten to tell those caretakers that
vehicles aren't the only things that
cross the Susquehanna on that bridge!
    There's a walkway on the south
side of the span.
    Yesterday it could have been used
by the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton
Penguins for ice hockey practice!
The sheet of ice on that walkway was
up to an inch thick in some spots.
     And the field of ice reached all the
way across!
      With one hand on my walking
stick and the other on a short concrete
wall I managed to slid across. Another
set of footprints atop the glaze suggested
that some other brave soul had survived
the trip as well.
     I didn't spot any bodies on the river
ice below so it appeared the crossing
had not yet proved fatal to anyone.
     Still, I'm tempted to describe it as a
lawsuit waiting to happen. Too bad
Attorney Cefalo's office is closer
to the other bridge. He could have had
claim forms waiting for walkers!
      Hope PennDot gets some Quick Joe
and that all your NEWS is good!





     
 

No comments:

Post a Comment