Saturday, January 27, 2018

SERIOUS MEMORIES


   SUNDAY, JANUARY 28TH.,2918
         SERIOUS MEMORIES!

        I spend a lot of time in this Blog
writing about nonsense. Unique and
strange "holidays" as well as daily
events in my life that tend to lend
themselves to humor.
      But January 28th brings back
memories that are far too serious.
And I'm thinking, specifically, of
January 28th 1986.
      I was in the Wilkes-Barre
Bureau of WYOU watching CBS
coverage of the launch of the space
shuttle Challenger. It was to be a
unique mission. One that included
Christa McAuliffe, a woman who
would have been the first teacher
in outer space. Because of her
participation an estimated 17% of
Americans were watching the
launch.
      But just 73 seconds after blast
off Challenger broke apart taking
the lives of McAuliffe and her 6
crewmates!
      I turned our Bureau television
set to face our large front window
so people passing by could watch
as the story unfolded. It was bad
news! But it wasn't the only bad
news. That same day I got a call
from my doctor telling me that a
tumor discovered in my back was
malignant! Hard personal news
on a hard news day!
     A month or so later a
successful operation removed
a mass my wife estimated to be
over 20 pounds from my back.
I often tell those who don't know
that the large scar on my back is
the result of a shark bite! At least
I got a funny story out of that.
     But seriously folks, today I
remember a story of national
tragedy and a personal scare
I'm glad to say I can tease about
these 32 years later!
      Hope none of us have too
many days like that......and that
all our NEWS is good!

2 comments:

  1. I am Mrs.Irene Query from Singapore i was in need of a loan of $150,000 and was scammed by those fraudulent lenders and a friend introduce me to Dr Purva Pius,and he lend me the loan without any stress,you can contact him at (urgentloan22@gmail.com) Approvals within 2-4 Hours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is.Mrs.Anna Daniel. I live in Ukraine i am a happy woman today? i need to use this time to tell all people how i got my loan from this honest and God fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $84,000 please contact him. if you also need a loan without any problem he name is Dr Purva Pius email (urgentloan22@gmail.com) tell him that is Mrs.Anna Daniel that refer you to he

    ReplyDelete