Wednesday, October 3, 2018

A BIT SQUIRRELY!

 
       THURSDAY, OCTOBER 4TH., 2018
                  A BIT SQUIRRELY!

  I wouldn't want the first week in October get
away without be reminding you that this is
"Squirrel Appreciation Month."
   I remember, in my childhood, passing through
a large local cemetery that was filled with
Squirrels. They had become so accustomed to
people feeding them that you could almost
always find a couple that were willing to get up
close and personal and take a peanut right from
your hand. I know I fed them from time to time.
    These days I usually encounter them in the
middle of the roadway when I'm trying to drive
somewhere. In that setting they become like so
many people I know! They don't seem to know
which way to turn!  They'll run out of the woods,
stop like a statue when they see you coming, then
suddenly switch directions and run back to where
they came from even though they're already half
way, or more, across the highway!
     There's an old saying "He who hesitates is
lost." The adage is proved by the remains of
Squirrels who waited just a bit too long to
decide which way to run!
       Other than their failure to look both ways
before crossing these rodents are actually a lot
smarter than many humans. They stock up their
supplies for winter so they don't have to run out
for bread or milk when a snowstorm hits.
       I should also male you aware there's a club
that's been established for those of you that have
an affection for Squirrels. It's the International
Squirrel Lover's Club based in Lower Burrell
Pennsylvania!
       The organization says its mission is to
encourage appreciation, kindness, and education in
regard to animals, especially Squirrels.
        I might have considered joining but the annual
dues come to $28. That's a lot of nuts!
         Hope you'll say "Hi" to a Squirrel near you
today and that all your NEWS is good!



No comments:

Post a Comment