Wednesday, October 17, 2018

HIT THE BRICKS!


  THURSDAY, OCTOBER 18TH., 2018
               HIT THE BRICKS!

    The meaning of the idiom "hit the bricks"
has changed over the years. It was originally
a term used by unions as they called their
members to go on strike.
    More recently the term is usually used as
a warning to "get out of here" or "go away."
     Around my house it's a phrase accompanied
by sadness. You see the bricks in my yard form
a sort of patio on which my wife places a small
bench I bought her a few years back. But that's
throughout the summer.
      When the leaves begin to show their colors
and those cool frosty winds start to blow the
bench gets packed away and the bricks become
a "landing pad" for my little red Miata.
      Once it's parked there it is, essentially,
stored away under cover for .....oh I hate to
say this.....the winter! It's like surrendering
to the weather. Neighbors may have heard me
crying as I backed it onto the bricks.
      It doesn't seem fair. There's been so much
rain this year the sport car's top has been up
more than down and it's been parked more
than driven. It's enough to make me want to
go on strike and hit the bricks with picket
signs against the forecasters!
       Hope we get a good, warm, and long
Indian Summer, and that all your NEWS
is good!


No comments:

Post a Comment