Monday, October 15, 2018

LOOK UP ENDANGERED SPECIES!


   TUESDAY, OCTOBER 16TH., 2018
  LOOK UP ENDANGERED SPECIES!

   October 16th., for those of you who don't
already know, is "Dictionary Day."
   The date is actually a tribute to Noah
Webster who was born on October 16th.,
1758. He's considered to be the Father of
the American dictionary.
    I'll bet a lot of you, somewhere in your
past, had questions about how to spell a
particular word. Chances are somebody,
probably your teacher, told you to "look it
up in the dictionary."
    If you're like me your response, at least
in a stage whisper, was "how  can I look it
up when I can't spell it!" Accidentally or
not I usually found what I needed after a
lot of lost time searching..
    Today we're typing on laptops. If we
misspell a word it's automatically underlined
in red and a list of words similar to the one
you typed shows up on your screen so you
can correct your error. It's not perfect. The
automatic spell check  still can't determine
if you meant to type to, too, or two.
     Checking a definition is as simple as
entering the word in question in the
"Search line" of your computer and
it, along with all options pop up for you
to see.
     It seems the dictionary we're "celebrating"
today is on the endangered species list. It like
the encyclopedia may be facing practical
extinction! You'll still find them but will
anybody actually use one?
      I can almost picture the expression on some
of my teacher's faces if I could go back and
tell them about this. On the other hand they'd
probably just send me to the dictionary to
lookup "Laptop" and "Spell Check!"
     Hope you keep a dictionary around,
just in case, and that all your NEWS is
good!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment