Thursday, October 18, 2018

WE ALL FALL DOWN!


     FRIDAY, OCTOBER 19TH., 2018
           WE ALL FALL DOWN!

    We've all recited it as kids. That old
rhyme that ends with the words "Ashes,
ashes, we all fall down."
     It came to my mind Thursday as my
wife and I sent some time with our 3-
year-old grandson at one of the many
area playgrounds we visit from time to
time.
     It occurred to me that falling down
has become a lot easier at playgrounds
these days. Well, not so much the
falling as the landing!
      The place we played at was all
built around a sort of cork floor! It
literally gives as you walk on the stuff
so hitting it with your backside really
doesn't hurt!
       Many other playgrounds have a
base made up of a mulch that helps
absorb the impact!
        The playgrounds near anywhere
near my house when I was growing
up were usually built on another kind
of material. We called it "dirt." That
was the unofficial name of course.
Officially it was just "the ground"
which consisted of the earth, small
stones and pebbles and, if you were
lucky, some grass!
          Today's swings are a type of
rubber. Ours were wooden. Catch
one of ours near your nose when you
were pushing somebody and there
would be blood. In speak from first
had experience!
           I think we fell as often then
as kids do now. But we sure landed
harder! Then there was the treatment!
Usually Mercurochrome! Not only
did it sting, the stuff was loaded with
mercury! It's a wonder we lived!
           I'm glad the places are safer
now. I'm sometimes asked to play a
bear and chase my grandson around
the playground. Even Grizzlies fall
down from time to time so it's good
to know the landing will be softer!
           Now if they can only come
up with a way to make it easier to
get back up!!!!
            Hope you play safe and that
all your NEWS is good!
           

No comments:

Post a Comment