Sunday, February 2, 2014

The Shadow Knows!


 It is February 2nd dear friends.
This is, beyond the shadow of a doubt,
a very big day!!!!!
  Somewhere out there in television
land some station will undoubtedly be
showing Bill Murphy's "Groundhog
Day" over and over.
   I understand there may be a football
game as well.
   But, of course, the real "reality show"
will have taken place by the time most
of you read this in the small hamlet of
Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania where
Punxsutawney Phil, a Groundhog,
comes out of his burrow looking for his
shadow.
   See it, we're told, and we're in for six
weeks of winter!
   I've always wondered, with all those
TV lights trained on his every movement,
how could he not see a shadow!
   But on this February 2nd I find
myself lost in a mystery!
   You see my neighbor's Groundhog seems
to be missing! I used to see him every day
or so gathering up and chomping down
the bread the guy leaves out for the birds.
    I haven't seen him for about a year now.
    But I have come up with a theory.
    Last Groundhog Day Punxsutawney Phil
didn't see his shadow, so we all rejoiced and
got set for an early Spring.
    Days later we got clobbered with snow
and cold!
     Given Phil's 37% accuracy rate we probably
shouldn't be all that surprised. Still, that
forecast didn't make most of us very happy!
   And it may account for the disappearance
of my neighbor's furry rodent!
    He's either too embarrassed by his
Punxsutawney cousin...or....somebody
mistook him for Phil and blew him away!
    Think I'll just stick with my local
Weather guys. They're usually much better
than Phil, often hitting 38% accuracy...well
sometimes.
    Meanwhile, just in case, I'll keep watching
for the critter across the street. Maybe I'll catch
a glimpse and find out if I can put my
snow shovel away!
     Hope you know the score (weather wise)
and that all your NEWS is good!

   
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment