Sunday, February 16, 2014

Up On The Roof


  With apologies to the Drifters, some
thoughts about being Up On The Roof!
   When this old world starts getting me
down and constant snow is just too much
to face. .......Why do I find myself atop a
ladder?
    Well, here's the thing.
     Believe it or not the very same snow
that covered my cars and driveway fell
on my roof too.
     Up until yesterday I hadn't bothered
with it. Maybe the wind would blow it
away. Maybe the sun would melt
it. Neither did!
     Now wet snow, for those who have
never been pelted by a water soaked
snowball. is heavy! And when our
closet doors began creaking when we
opened them my wife suggested there
might be too much snow on the roof.
    That suggestion carried with it one
of those unsaid but fully understood
hints. "Get out and clear some of that
snow off the roof!"
     Let us be clear from the start. I am
not fond of ladders. If God wanted me
to reach things in high places he would
have made me taller.
    Still after locating the ladder, which
was buried under deep snow, I managed
to haul it the side of the house and lift
it into place.
    Had this been a fire rescue operation
no one would have survived!
    Next I began to climb. Very slowly.
One hand on the ladder, the other on the
shovel.
    I suppose the rungs of a ladder are
actually only about 6 inches or so apart.
So how come I seemed to go up three
feet or more every time I took a step?
    Once on top, or at least as "on top"
as I intended to go I began to thrust my
trusty shovel into the snow and pull it
towards the edge!
    Only one thing stood between that
cold,wet snow and the ground so far
below. Me!
    I find it's nearly impossible to
shovel snow from a roof at eye level
without dumping some into that
narrow gap that always exists between
one's hat and the collar of his jacket!
    And remember that wind I was
hoping would blow the snow from the
roof? It finally started to blow while I
stood there perched high above the
earth (well it seemed darn high) and
blew directly into my face!
     I moved the ladder several times
and got as much of the snow as I was
able to reach (without climbing any
higher). If any more has to come
down I'm going to try to reach
that Wallenda guy. He seems to like
high places!
    The Drifters sung of the roof as a
"peaceful place to be." Hope yours
isn't covered by snow drifts and that
all your NEWS is good!


      



The end!    

1 comment:

  1. You definitely had a tough day, shoving off all that snow from your roof. Snow maybe beautiful to look at, but thinking of all of the problems it can cause, it’s disappointing somehow. I hope it didn’t come to that point for you and your house. Take care!

    Pleasance Faast @ Shelton Roofing

    ReplyDelete