Friday, February 28, 2014

Vote For Ted!


       I don't usually get involved in politics
in my Blog. But in this case I feel compelled
to make an exception! I'm supporting a vote
for Ted Raub!
       No! He's not running for Governor or
City Council or any such thing. And he won't
be doing any campaigning. If fact...Ted passed
away in 1998!
       My good friend, the late Ted Raub, is one
of the nominees for the 2014 "Horror Host Hall
of Fame!
       Most adults in this area remember him as
the host of Uncle Ted's Ghoul School which
aired on WNEP and later WVIA TV.
        Ted would entertain the audience with
jokes, magic, and ad libs in between reels of
some usually very old Horror movies. Ted's
entertainment was usually a lot better than
that provided in those "B" movie flicks!
        The format was not unique northeast PA!
        During my teen years, about a hundred
years ago, I was a devoted fan of "Zacherle",
a "Dracula-like" character who hosted Chiller
Theater out of Philadelphia. He was inducted
to the Hall of Fame in 2011.
        The same movies were featured on Uncle
Ted's Ghoul School some 40 or so years later.
        Uncle Ted also helped me with a Train
Robbery! Back in my day's with WILK radio,
which was a Top 40 station at the time, the
DJ's and I dressed up as cowboys for a
promotional photo and "robbed" a western
style train that used to run in a park along
Route 11 between Berwick and Bloomsburg.
       Uncle Ted played the Conductor for us!
He always loved a good gag. In fact he even
loved a bad gag!
        While I realize not all of you yearn for
a show filled with one liners, a bit of magic,
and Ed Wood type Monster Movies, let's give
some credit to a guy like Uncle Ted who made
it fun for a lot of people looking for a bit of
escape.
         Ted pulled off some real magic too!
He survived numerous Paratrooper drops
during combat in World War II. That was
a good trick! And he came way with two
Purple Hearts!
       You can cast a vote for him by sending an
email including his name to:
mrhalloweenjack@gmail.com
       Hope you'll send a vote for Ted Raub and
that all your NEWS is ghoul...I mean... good!

1 comment:

  1. I guess Zacherle had a lot of sylistic followers. Zacherle is still going, at 95. NY Times had an article on him, he lives in a rent controlled apartment on the upper west side. Like Ted, he fought in WW II, was discharged as a Major no less. Hope old man winter soon departs.

    ReplyDelete