Saturday, April 12, 2014

Kimosabe


    I watched the movie "The Lone Ranger"
again the other night. I had seen it in the
theater when it was released last year.
   I won't debate the quality of the film.
   Many critics panned it. I liked it.
   But seeing it again brings some thoughts
to my mind.
   When I was growing up kids played
cowboys and Indians. Not cowboys and
"Native Americans."
    Little boys had cap guns and when
we weren't being the Lone Ranger or Roy
Rogers we were probably playing Army.
    I thought about that when, in  the opening
scene of the movie, a little boy dressed in
a cowboy outfit, complete with mask, and
cap pistol 6 shooter runs into an aged Tonto
in an old west setting.
    These days if a kid came to school dressed
like that for the annual Halloween Parade
he'll likely be expelled!
     I don't remember any school shootings
or mass murders when I was growing up.
     Of course our "exposure" to violence
was pretty much limited to the movies back
then.
     The Lone Ranger was one of our heroes and
you'll notice that even though he wore a mask,
he had a White hat! That was usually the tip
off as to who was the "good guy" back then.
     And, as I recall, whether it was the good
guys or the bad guys getting 40 or so shots out
of those "6 shooters", it was pretty rare for
anyone to actually get killed!
     And talk about being Politically correct!
     The Lone Ranger and Tonto were
partners! Even the Indian was a good guy!
So kids could play either role.
     Maybe it's just me but I think kids could
use a dose or two of the old Lone Ranger
these days!
      Hope you appreciate those "thrilling days
of yesteryear" Kimosabe and that all your News
is good!
















       

No comments:

Post a Comment