Saturday, April 5, 2014

Ye Shall Know The Truth!


  OK. The votes are in. So, today, ye
shall know the truth!
   On Thursday evening my ECTV
colleague, Judge Tom Munley, and
I talked about Television and the News
business with a gathering of folks at
the West Pittston Library.
   We also played a little game with
our guests and yesterday I shared that
game with the readers of my Blog.
    For those who came in late or just
missed it, the Judge and I each listed
a few "facts" about ourselves.
   But one item in each list was a LIE!
   Your job was to identify the untruth.
   Let's look at the lists one more time.

    Judge Munley says he..........

   (1) Was a janitor.
   (2) Was nominated for an Emmy.
   (3) Played Semi-Pro ball for one season.
   (4) Won a Bronze Star.
   (5) Wanted to be a Doctor.

    Most folks actually questioned his
desire to be a doctor. But, when he was
younger, that was his ambition.
    A few doubted his being nominated
for an Emmy. But he was for a program
he helped produce on WYOU about
the late Governor Bob Casey.
    He did not, however, play Semi-Pro
baseball. Not even for one season!

   OK. Now me. I wrote that I.......
  
    (1) Was a janitor.
    (2)  Sang with the Lennon Sisters.
    (3)  Have a Gold Record.
    (4)  Have met 3 Presidents.
    (5)  Flew the Met Life Blimp.
  
    Most of the voters doubted my claim
to a Gold Record while a few disputed
my insistence that I sang with the
Lennon Sisters. At least one figured my
boast of flying the Met Life Blimp was
'inflated."
    Actually, all three are true!
    I sang with two of the Lennon sisters
back stage (for a radio show) at the
Bloomsburg Fair in 1963.
    A comical voice I used for a radio
series on WILK was used as the voice
for the Transportation Department's
Character "Safety Sam" and my reward
was a Gold Copy of the Public Safety
announcements I recorded.
    I got a chance to be a passenger in
the Met Life Blimp while reporting
for WYOU and I was allowed to take
the controls for awhile during that
flight!
   What seemed to surprise most was
that I never met three Presidents!
    I covered President Clinton's visit
to Scranton when Hillary's father died.
But I never got to meet him.
    I was close to Mr. Obama when he
was campaigning in Scranton. But I
did not get to shake his hand.
    In fact the only President I actually
got to sit down with was Gerald Ford
and he was already out of office at that
time.
   By the way, at one time during our
working lives, both Judge Munley and
I were janitors!
   Thankfully we were not asked to clean
up after our Library Program!
    Hope you got the right answer and
that all your NEWS is good!


















































1 comment:

  1. You mean I actually met and shook hands of more presidents than you. Ronald Regan and Jimmy Carter. Jimmy Carter is a whole other story as I was carrying a Cresent wrench at the time and it was in WBRE's men's room.

    ReplyDelete