Friday, April 25, 2014

My Day In 5th Grade


     I was back in 5th Grade the other day.
     That, for me, would normally be a very
frighting experience! Not this time though.
This time I really was at "the head of the
class."
     My grandson, via his Mom, invited me to
visit the Bear Creek Community Charter
School to share some of my knowledge about
the Titanic with Mrs. Albers Fifth graders.
     Of course the story always ends the same
way. The ship sinks! (Sorry to spoil it for
those who didn't know!)
     But the stories of individuals who were
on board are all unique.
     For those who don't already know I
"reunited" two Titanic survivors back in 1972.
One had saved the other's son when the ship
went down. The mother and son ended up
living in Wilkes-Barre.
     Since 1972 I've learned a lot about the
ship and some of its passengers.
      I share my stories whenever I can and, this
time, that was in a Classroom.
      It's different when you're speaking with
kids. Fun. But challenging. Especially when
you get to questions and answers.
      One young lady, for instance, wanted to
know how old I was when the Titanic sank!
I guess it's logical to figure........ since I talk so
much about the disaster........I must have covered
it!
       One wanted to know how the iceberg hit
the ship. I had to explain it was the other way
around.
        My grandson asked if, at some later date,
we might go scuba diving to the wreck. I had
to decline that invitation. Two miles is a long
way down!
       Luckily there were no questions about the
math kids are studying these days!
       It's amazing how 11-year-olds can get so
excited about a story that's now 102-years-old.
But these students really got into it!
        I was glad to see that!
        Hope they liked the "lecture" and that
all their, and your, NEWS is good!


       
     

No comments:

Post a Comment