Thursday, April 24, 2014

Signing Off


    I stopped working at WILK Radio in 1973.
    But, in many ways, I never really left the
place.
     I've been called back from time to time to
remember big news stories from days gone by
and I've called in occasionally to offer some
perspective on topics Webster & Nancy or Sue
Henry are discussing on their daily programs.
    Yesterday I went back to the WILK Studios
to say farewell to an old friend.
    After some 40 years on the air in our area
Bud Brown has signed off to step into retirement.
    Most of you who know the name probably
think of Bud as the morning newsman on WILK.
    Ironically, Bud has worked at several stations
around these parts....but never left the same news
desk! As stations were sold and call letters
changed Bud seemed to come along with the
furniture!
     I'm not sure when and where we first met.
But I do know he walked down the aisle at a
wedding with my wife long before I knew either
of them!
     He was the ring bearer at his uncle's wedding.
     My wife was the flower girl for her aunt, who
was marrying Bud's uncle! I wonder if that makes
us related?
     I never had the pleasure of working at the
same station as Bud (at the same time) but we
used to travel together all the time.
     We shared a Media Newsroom at the Luzerne
County Courthouse during my early days at
WDAU TV and Bud used to ride along with my
cameraman and me as we went on the road to
gather news stories.
      It was nice to be with him again yesterday
as he sat in the studio with Nancy, Webster, and
Sue Henry. Calls kept coming in from people
who have been listening to him forever and from
 many, many broadcast Professionals, past and
present, who appreciate Bud's ability and
dedication to the craft!    
      Bud and his wife Bev are heading for
Arizona. He tells us it's mostly because of the
climate. I believe he recently received a news
tip which may put him on the trail of the Lost
Dutchman Mine!
     Why else would he walk away from the
"glamor" of this kind of "work?"
     Hope Bud and Bev enjoy their retirement
to the fullest and that all of their, and your, NEWS
is good!

 
    
 Sue Henry
 Me
 Bud Brown









No comments:

Post a Comment