Friday, June 21, 2013

The Longest Mile!


       Our trip home from Wine Country included
an impromptu visit to Watkins Glen State Park.
        The centerpiece of the park is a 400-foot-deep
gorge cut through rock by Glen Creek left behind
by glaciers from the Ice Age!
        Thousands of tourists visit each year to enjoy
the beauty of the gorge and the waterfalls that
run through it.
        The Ranger who greeted us assured our
party that most of the falls could be seen within
the first mile of a trail  that winds through the
gorge. She neglected to mention the fact that
mile is all uphill!
      I managed about 400 of the 800 stone steps
that lead to the top of the trail! While the walk
took a lot out of me I think it was the peoples who
seemed to run by that took the wind out of
my sails.
      One of my friends asked  how long I
thought it took the creek to cut through the
rock and form the deep gorge.
       I knew the place was there when I visited
back in 1965 so it had to be over 48 years!
       As it turned out I was slightly off.
According to signs along the trail the water
erosion started about 12,000 years ago.
        While I didn't make it to the top I did
take advantage of my Zoom lens to check
out the areas ahead....and up!
         It's easy to see why the rock trail,
bridges, and tunnels are a big attraction
in these parts. Maybe they'll put in an
escalator before the next 12,000 years go
by!
        Hope you get to check out the Glen
someday and that all your NEWS is good!

























































          

No comments:

Post a Comment