Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Walking The Grand Canyon!


       Everybody seems to be talking about the
guy who walked the Grand Canyon Sunday
evening.
       My visit, last year, didn't get near as much
attention.
       I realize that Nick Wallenda did walk on
a two inch tight rope between two sections of
canyon walls. But I leaned against a metal
railing right in front of a spot where the cliff
abruptly ended in a one mile drop! That's
practically the same....isn't it?
        All kidding aside I was glued to the TV
as Wallenda made his walk. And, as if that
wasn't enough, I had my laptop set to the
camera apparently mounted on his belt that
looked straight down at the wire and the
Empire State Building's worth of air between
that and the river far below.
       I got a similar photo with my camera
last year. In my case I got as close to the rail
as good sense would allow then stretched my
arm out as far as I could and snapped the
picture.
       It's a long way from the Grand Canyon
to my house. But I was silent and nervous as
I watched him make his walk. Maybe that's
because I remember seeing his grandfather
fall to his death attempting a walk between
two buildings in Puerto Rico years back.
       Heck, I fell while walking along a
sidewalk in West Pittston the other day!
Thankfully, I survived the 3 foot drop to
a grassy yard along side the pavement!
       Now some folks  are trying to make a
big deal out of the fact Wallenda's walk
was not actually in the Grand Canyon
National Park. It sure looked close enough
to me!
      Last I heard Wallenda was asking people
to suggest sites for his next walk. Personally
I'd like him to wait awhile till my nerves
settle down and I can catch my breath.
      After that maybe I'll write and suggest
he try that sidewalk in West Pittston!
      Hope you've still got your balance and
that all your NEWS is good!






























No comments:

Post a Comment