Saturday, July 5, 2014

My Hospital Visit!


  I headed for the hospital yesterday
afternoon. No, I'm feeling just fine
thank you. But an old friend of mine
is dealing with some serious medical
issues and I wanted to pay a visit to
show my support.
   It was an interesting visit......to say
the least!
   First, as I arrived, I saw what I
initially thought was a 4th of July
celebration. Lots of people walking
to and from a tent set up on the
sidewalk, several carrying American
flags.
   These marchers, however, were
nurses who were beginning a pre
planned 5-day-strike in an effort to
secure what they consider to be a fair
contract. There were a couple kids
on the picket line. I'm assuming they
were family members. The thought
of a 12-year-old nurse seemed a little
scary tome!
    Speaking of scary......I took the
elevator to the8th floor where my
friend has been undergoing treatment
for several weeks.
    The floor seemed strangely dark
as I approached the rooms. The area
where the nurses usually sit was empty.
Surely someone had to be around.
    The door to my friend's room was
closed so I knocked before I went in.
     Inside......just an empty bed!
     Now I've seen enough movies to
know what it means when there's an
empty bed in the room where the
patient is suppose to be!
      Before I completely let panic set
in I picked up a wall phone and
dialed the operator. She informed me
that my observations were correct. There
was no one on the floor. Patients throughout
the hospital had been moved closer
together so the smaller replacement staff
could more easily watch over them.
      I found my friend two floors away
and was able to enjoy a nice visit.
      Then I took advantage of a handy
hospital service and pulled the card out
of my pocket that reminded me where I
had parked! I'm glad they do that. I don't
think I could have handled another scare!
       Hope the nurses go back in, my friend
gets back out, and that all your NEWS is
good!




   

No comments:

Post a Comment