Saturday, May 9, 2015

A Day In The Yard

       SUNDAY, MAY 10TH.

       A DAY IN THE YARD

   My wife loves to work in the yard.
   I.........well.......my wife loves to work
in the yard.
   Our grass and plants, once safely
hidden under piles of snow, are free
again and in need of attention.
    Realizing the tasks ahead would
need my wife's direction and the strength
of a man, I called my grandson to
come over and help. He's 12.
    I, of course, could not expect to
escape completely. So I opted for
lawnmower patrol.
    We have two. One electric and one
gas. The electric is very dependable.
But lugging that cord behind you can
be a big pain!
     And there's always the chance it
will get in front of you. That happened
to me one time. Luckily my son was able
to splice both ends of the severed cord
back together and nobody was
electrocuted!
     Anyway I pulled out the gas mower
figuring it would make the task a little
easier.
     I now know pulling the starter
cord on a mower can be as physically
draining as a 3 mile hike in 80 degree
temperatures. That's about how it feels
after 30 or 40 unsuccessful attempts!
    I was about to search out the extension
cord when pull number 38 or 40 brought
the gas mower to life.
    Meanwhile my wife and grandson
sailed through the raking process and
used the wheelbarrow to dispose of
last year's leftover leaves and debris.
    As I finally collapsed onto the porch
rocker I saw my wife and grandson
putting their equipment away in our
shed.
    Unfortunately we keep a couple
plastic bats and a Wiffle ball in that
same shed and seconds later I found
myself on the freshly cut back lawn
tossing curveballs to my grandson.
     He, however, agreed to retrieve
any home runs himself and proved
true to his word. It was a wise
decision. It's easier to carry a
Wiffle ball out of the woods then a
grandpa from the lawn.
     My wife loves to work in the yard.
I think my grandson likes it too.
      I like writing blogs, usually
sitting down.
      Hope you liked this one and
that all your NEWS is good!




No comments:

Post a Comment