Sunday, April 2, 2017

THEY GO TOGETHER LIKE......


     SUNDAY, APRIL 2ND., 2017
  THEY GO TOGETHER LIKE.........

     Today is truly a day to celebrate!
     I'm not sure if Congress ever officially
acknowledged this holiday by resolution or
not. But if it hasn't...it should!
     April 2nd is "National Peanut Butter and
Jelly Day! But you probably already knew
that didn't you?
     Peanut Butter, or something close to it
was used by the Aztecs as far back as the
14th century. They used to mash peanuts
into a paste. Unfortunately, for the Aztecs,
they didn't have any Smuckers or Wonder
Bread with which to turn their paste into
PB&J sandwiches!
     Here in America the average person
eats 1500  peanut butter and jelly sandwiches
before graduating high school. In fact there's
a lot of folks who survive on the combination!
      As I've told the kids in my daughter's
first grade class I have my own recipe for
peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I have
altered it over the years though. These days
I put the peanut butter on the bread first. I
find it easier to spread if the jelly goes on
second!
      They taste good and, better yet, the
PB&J Campaign claims that eating a
Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich is good
for the environment!
       According to the campaign, the next time
you chow down on a PB&J instead of a
hamburger you'll save as much  as 2.5 pounds
of carbon dioxide emissions, 280 gallons of water,
and 50 square feet of land! Who have believed
it? It would be practically enamoring not to
eat them.
       Peanuts are a pretty efficient food too. It takes
about 540 peanuts to make a 12-ounce jar of peanut
butter and there are enough peanuts in one acre to
make 30,000 peanut butter sandwiches.
       I can't seem to find any history on just when
Peanut Butter first met Jelly.....but they've been
stuck together ever since! (Get it? Peanut butter,
jelly, stuck together, you know.)
       So celebrate my friends. Husbands take your
wife out for a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich
this evening. That's bound to impress her.....I
think.
        Hope you're not "spread too thin" and that
all your NEWS is good!







....

  

1 comment:

  1. What simple pleasure can be derived from the most basic ingredients. I think I may have pushed that average number consumed pre-graduation up a bit. Thanks for the heads up on doing peanut butter first.

    ReplyDelete